10.4.13

Love you long time

Many years ago, when i was young, I worked in the pharmaceutical industry, selling things to GP's. You weren't literally selling things, it was a concept sell. Inform the GP of your wonder drug, and hope that when they next came to prescribe, they would choose it over the chap's in the Vauxhall Vectra parked next to yours in the surgery car park. This was in the days long before PCT formularies and for the sake of this discussion we are going to pretend dispensing GP's don't exist.

We had all manner of sales charts with clinical data and the main objective was to find the hook for that particular GP and fold the chart to the relevant page, sell, and leave some post it notes or pens. There was obviously a lot more to it, and to this day my clinical knowledge of Proton Pump Inhibitors is top notch.

Yesterday somebody tried to sell me their particular flowers, and based their entire sales speech on the fact that they last a long time. Longevity is king apparently to the flower retailers of England. Just not to me, i think its lovely that they last over 2 weeks, but the colours were awfully crass, and so even if they lasted 6 months, they are never going to be of interest.

The salesman failed to see my point of view, and I his. Exasperation on both sides. No sale made.

In my book, in the argument of aesthetic over longevity, always choose aesthetic.

Longevity is why plants were created.

and in reply to a comment from yesterday and a question numerous times asked in the shop, it is I that takes all the pictures featured here, unless otherwise stated.


also Black eyed peas

6 comments:

Bow Street Flowers said...

Ephemera is my trade.

Martin & the Magpie said...

so with you here..its the transient beauty that matters...you either get it or you don't.....xx

Webinfovision said...

Do you know why people living with flower or prefer flower at a very specific moment because,flowers giving relax and making us spiritual.

cara said...

Quite. If you want longevity buy a cactus. Also, you have used 'crass' twice this week, which makes you the Queen of the English Language.

Ashlyn said...

We had a customer ask today how long the sweet peas would last. I wanted to say 'Does it really matter? Look at them. They're beautiful.' But I didn't.

Mrs T-J said...

Proton Pump Inhibitors, gosh that brought back some memories! I was on those for gatric reflux way back when, marvellous things, got me through my wedding day (the first one!) xxx